Thursday, August 2, 2007

Stones River Greenway

Temp: 78-83, Partly cloudy

Got up and took the trike to the greenway. Got an early start because it was going to be 96 today.
Started at the Heartland Park trail head and started riding toward the bridge. The Mayor walked it a month ago so I assumed that it was open. I was traveling across the bridge and was going around 9 miles an hour and turned the corner and almost ran into the barricade. The trail is paved and looks like it is fenced and looks good but you can not continue on after you pass over the bridge.


this is looking back at the bridge after crossing


A picture looking from the bridge.

After taking these pictures, I went east on the greenway. The HILL that comes up to McGavock Pike is a 28 % grade according to my Edge 205. I do not know who the engineer was that designed that slope but he was not a bicyclist. I made it up but had to stop 4 times. The greenway goes under the road and meanders besides the golf course and football practice fields and is quite pretty. It does have a few more hills but nothing like the HILL.
It will be nice to see the whole Stones River Greenway open.
You will be able to go from the Wave Pool all the way to the Percy Priest Dam. A real nice ride. And when the Cumberland River bridge is done the ride will be from the middle of town to the dam.

7.5 miles in the Quest for Fitness. 190.1 miles total

2 comments:

SueC56 said...

Tom, your mileage per trip seems to be improving! I know how you feel about the heat though, that sure makes it hard to get out and ride.

Tom Staggs said...

Thanks Sue
But if you notice my Aug 31 posting you will notice that I have not ridden in such a long time. Hopefully the weather has broken and I will get back too it.